Sunday, June 17, 2012

Blerg - Job Market Woes

Well, I don't know if you can call it job market woes when I'm not going to be on the job market this fall. That's the conclusion my advisor and I came to on Friday. I just won't be far enough into my dissertation by the time the postings come out to be a competitive candidate so it makes no sense to be on the market. I pouted about it on Friday and yesterday, but I'm ok with it now. Not looking forward to two more years in limbo, but I think it frees me up to do the type of dissertation I want to do, can work, and maybe even, I don't know, try to have a family or something. It definitely gives me a lot more flexibility than trying to get everything finished in one year plus being on the job market. Matt was totally fine with the news - he was the one convincing me it was all going to be ok!

So nothing really changes for now. Will get a publication out this summer and be working on my dissertation proposal. Tom wants one that's been circulated to my committee by Oct. 1 which I think is totally doable. What's great is that if I can get the dissertation mostly completed by this time next year, I'll have a lot of flexibility with what I do with myself in my last year.

It's Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to the best dad ever! My dad!!
On my wedding day. I love this picture!

2 comments:

  1. Hiii! I miss you! Are you going to start blogging again--this post is old! :) Are you ending up working with the professor you met with in May?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm a bad blogger!! I'm dreaming up a new post. And I'm not really working with that prof, but she agreed last week to be on my dissertation committee so that's good. I think she's a little confused by me and my qualitative ways. LOL.

      Delete